Monday, February 13, 2012

Flex-itarian Ways

Hubs and I have been making an attempt at eating less meat {I know I've mentioned this in previous posts}. Over the summer, hubs read this book that convinced him we should eat less meat for health, societal, humane, and environmental reasons {I haven't been brave enough to read it yet}. Interestingly enough my whole family is choosing to eat less meat.

Anyway, I had this eggplant in my fridge we had to use or toss so tonight we tried a new veggie pizza recipe I found from the web {I'm making a renewed effort to make sure I'm not throwing out unused food}. I would have taken a pic of the process, but I didn't think of it. And, because I came home from the grocery with a terrible headache, my sweet hubs made our supper. We were pleased with the recipe and will make this pizza again.

Garden Eggplant Pizza

1 large eggplant, peeled
1 medium tomato
1 red bell pepper
1 onion
1 small zucchini
3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 (14 oz.) prebaked Italian pizza crust {I made my own pizza dough}
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Chop first 5 ingredients coarsely, sauté in 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until tender. {We should have put some of the seasonings in the skillet with the veggies before we layer the toppings on the dough}. Layer pizza crust evenly with cheese and eggplant mixture, sprinkle with basil and next 5 ingredients. Drizzle with remaining oil.
Bake pizza at 425°F for 10 minutes or until golden

Here's what's on the menu for the rest of the week:

Polish sausage, potatoes & onion skillet with green beans
Spicy Vegetable soup
Baked Ziti and Asparagus
Bean enchiladas & Spanish rice.

Do you have any delish eggplant recipes...or other vegetarian recipes? I think I'm trying to convince myself to like eggplant. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Back when we had that CSA we used to make a similar pizza- definitely need to do that again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...