Wednesday, September 12, 2012

An Unforgettable Day


I will never forget.  I was in Dr. Wasley's eight am Modern Poetry class where we were  ironically discussing Eliot's The Wasteland.  Someone walked into class and asked if we had heard the news.  We hadn't.  We couldn't believe it was really true.  

It was the beginning of my junior year at the University of Georgia - one of the first cool mornings of Fall.  A Tuesday.  Same as this year.  By lunchtime UGA had become practically deserted.  That afternoon, my roommate and I invited all of our friends over for dinner.  We just wanted to be near to people we loved.  Is it strange that I remember exactly what we ate {jumbalaya, green beans, and fruit salad}?


{Source}
I remember wondering, "what's next?  Are we going to war?  Is {more} war coming to us?"  Someone hung a flag from the arches on campus and students lit candles as a memorial.  It is a day so many of us won't forget.  That day {and maybe week?} time stood still for so many of us.  And, for so many of us our lives have been changed forever.  

2 comments:

  1. I too, was in class. And I too, remember every detail of that horrific week. We didn't hear from my brother for over a month in a half as he was on a naval ship in the middle of Persian Gulf and the military shut down all communication until they had a handle on what was going on. Those were scary days. My heart still hurts for the families of ALL the victims that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You were a UGA student then! Thank you for sharing. I was -eek- a fifth grader in Korea. It was a month before we came to the US. My dad was in the DC area preparing for our move, and his flight home got delayed. I remember watching that one video footage over and over and over again on the news for weeks. When we came here that October, I remember one of the first things I noticed about America was how almost every house had the American flag up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...